Monday, September 28, 2009

In Loving Memory

We wanted to let you know that Margaret died on Saturday. She was discharged from the hospital Friday afternoon and went back to her apartment in Assisted Living with Hospice care. She was kept comfortable and out of pain. Don and I stayed with her. The LPN left around midnight, giving us the medicines to administer. Don gave his mom a kiss and told her we were going to go to sleep and she should do the same..."I love you" was the last thing she heard from him. This was all very hard to cope with and we were talking for 10 minutes until Don got up to get some aspirin and check on his mom. She had stopped breathing in those 10 minutes and "went to sleep". We called the Hospice nurse and the funeral home and then packed up our pillows and drove home around 3am. We spent the weekend cleaning out her apartment and getting ready for our trip to Ohio for the funeral. We just couldn't face the apartment next week. We have our moments of tears and sadness...Don keeps picking up the phone to call her as usual. Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers...they are very much appreciated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

{{{you & Don}}}

It was good to 'talk' to you today. I look forward to the next time you're in town & I can give you a REAL hug.

The part about Don picking up the phone to call his mom as usual got me. As you know, every day I text message my mom many times but mainly always always at 7:30 am Honolulu time. Sometimes I can't help but think about the day she's no longer there to receive the messages and how long that will take me to stop picking up my phone to text her.

Jeanette Azzano Banks said...

Hi Don & Debbie,I was looking thru your blog, and thought how bittersweet it is,to see your progress of your home & pic.of Margaret.I'm keeping you in my prayers, as I know what it is to loose your Mom. Talking many times a day,and caring for her. Healing is a long and tough feeling to go thru. You and Debbie and Sandra cared and loved her, and she knew it,and loved you all very much. I have a message on my phone she left me on June 10th. It's nice, and emotional to hear.I love the rollers in her hair,she was always concerned about her makeup and hair.I set and combed her hair for her,and we had fun doing it.The first thing she did in heaven was to look for the hairdresser LOL Remember the good times & that's what will get you thru. Healing and prayers to you,Jeanette

nodhop said...

Hello Jeanette! How wonderful of you to leave such a kind note. We sure appreciate it. Would love to somehow get the voice mail my Mom left you.... Mine were all erased at work when we got new phones.
Hope you are well. Nice to see you again in Ohio despite the circumstances. Please keep in touch.
It is a tough pill to swallow to not have my mom enjoy the house we are building. We really hoped to have her there for her Birthday and Christmas this year. Hope you see this note... I can't see your email from your note....
And again, thanks for being a wonderful neighbor and friend to my Mom. You are a wonderful person.
Take care
Love
Don and Debbie

Jeanette Azzano Banks said...

Hi Don & Debbie, I recieved your comment,and I am going to try and put the message on a microcassette tape player.Don't know how else to get it to you. If you have another suggestion let me know.I'd gladly do it. I miss talking with her,and when I feel down I listen to her. Your home is coming along nice.I know as I can see it's alot of work.It's beautiful. Your Mom was worried so much about you,working on the house.She also knew you wantd her to see it complete before something would happen to her. She was so proud of you.She was a very selfless person. I'll give you my e-mail address,& phone nu. 216-288-4691.
mzswtnes8888@yahoo.com
Take care of yourself & remember your Mom is with you always.
Love,Jeanette