Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Growing Pains.....

OK, let the garden begin to grow! Heck of a weekend ….again. We actually finished what we had hoped for regarding the garden. We hired two young strong guys to help us haul soil to fill the boxes, and haul gravel for our trail. It was just too much work for Deb and I if we want to start planting any time soon. Worked great. We prepped the trail, planted some plants, and hauled bark chips to fill in around the boxes. Our plan for the “terrace fronts/walls” is to have either natural rock, or use the left over AAC and clad it with some gravel or rock. We think that will look pretty cool. Deb and I installed the pressure treated top rails that go around the perimeter of the garden. It went well. Then I climbed a ladder and cut the tops of the posts off with a chainsaw, while Deb used a piece of 1x4 to “push over” the tops of the posts so they would not fall on me while I held the chainsaw on the ladder. You get the idea…that would not be a good idea. She did a great job! Not one post “top” even came close to hitting me.
The narrow boxes along the fence are for raspberries and some table grapes…..so they can climb up the fence if necessary. Other boxes are for tomatoes, herbs, lettuces, squash, etc. We selected the boxes for each plant based on the amount of sunshine they get. We will be putting some trellises up too for snow peas, beans, and the tomatoes. Can’t wait.
Deb was using the weed whacker yesterday on the septic drain-field. I went over there to say “Hi,” and noticed a “view” of the house I had not seen in a long time…. We both were so happy with the way the house looked, that I could not resist taking a pic or two. The other pics are of the trail to the garden that takes off the main trail that goes from the parking spots to the front door of the house. It’s a “quaint” little trail that we can’t wait to walk on to get some fresh lettuce, herbs, or vegetables for the evening’s dinner! Come join us soon!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, everything looks awesome! I love your path, it looks like a gravel creek running through your woods.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you two will be midnight porch leavers of excess zucchini up and down Island View Way in the not-so-distant future :-)

Important Question: are either of you going to get to relax any time soon?

nodhop said...

Hello Kathy! Well, we may leave a few zuchs around the "hood" but we grill so many to have with salads, this year will be an experiment.... we pick em' small too so we may be able to keep up.
R&R is right around the corner... per the posts, the garden, woodshed, and barn are the priorities and after we finish those, we intend to start LIVING in the Bow area, instead of existing!!! And, that means fun things!
Hope you can join us on some of them....:)

Unknown said...

Hi Don - I wasn't sure how to reach you. This is Jessica McAloon from the Sedro Woolley Office. I have two travel bills here in the sedro woolley office. You can call me and I can forward them to your home address or I can leave them at your old desk for you to pick up. Please call me at the office. Thanks - Jessica