Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Picking up the pieces ....

Once again we pick up the pieces and continue to make some progress on the homestead. So much of almost everything seems so surreal for the past months. My Mom and now my Aunt gone within five months. It is not right.
A variety of projects are underway….some big and some small. Deck railings are being welded…we will transport to get powder coated, and then the installation. Yeah. We all will feel so much safer with rails on the deck, and it should look great. Deb and I put up a wainscot on the screened porch. We are jazzed about it. Got some very very cheap cedar boards that are called "drops" from a larger board. Most lumber yards can't use/sell boards less than three ft. long, but we sure found a use! Couple screen doors, railing boards, and screens for the windows and we are set for the warm season on the porch!
Chris is working on the dumbwaiter. We think it is going to be great too. Much less expensive than we thought because Chris made short work of it by using plywood to line the shaft, and use wood “rails” for the guides for the basket. And we found a winch to use for the power train. Going to love it when it is in. I told Deb that I did not mind bringing wood up in 5-gallon buckets, but regardless how careful I am, I still got wood chips, etc. on the stair carpet and we are constantly vacuuming….. I can get exercise a whole bunch of other ways.... believe me!!
We decided to do some seasonal work too. Check out the pics of Deb and I building boxes for our raised bed garden. We had a great day building six boxes. Gorgeous weather. Once again we were like an assembly line putting them together. I found some utility grade cedar (from Canada) that I got a fantastic price on. We found inspiration for the design of the boxes from a garden I saw when bike riding. Did some modifications and away we went. Plan to finish most of the other boxes but are thinking of putting in a pond for ducks etc. which means we need to bring a machine through the garden area first. Gee, what a mystery…. two biologists wanting to put a wildlife pond on their property….:)
The sunsets are shedding some magnificent light in the house now and it is only going to get better. It changes everything. And, last but not least, we have been doing some nighttime experimentation with our bake oven and voila!.... Deb made her FIRST loaf of bread!!! ...a beauty I might add! Yummy too!!
LY D2

No comments: