Friday, August 7, 2009

What were you doing 1 year ago today?

It was one year ago today when I fell and broke my back. It's a strange "anniversary" to remember and write about. I even wrote it in my calendar - strange. I woke up today feeling sad and angry. I know I should feel ectatic that I'm alive and not in a wheelchair - I tell people that when they ask me how I'm feeling; however, everytime I get up from a chair or get into or out of bed or work around the house, I feel sore and achy. I find that I'm angry about the fall and the soreness that I feel. WHY did I fall???? The soreness is a constant reminder of what happened a year ago and I'm upset about what I've lost. I've even had nightmares about falling this week...?

So, what do I do about it? I did my normal stuff...I went to work, sat in a net-meeting but then left early to work on the house. We landscaped the yard - it looks great. As the "fall-hour" approached, I thought back to that day. The fall...Don never leaving my side...being lifted out of the house on a forklift from the 3rd floor windows...the ambulance rides...the E.R. in Seattle (what a trip!), friends and family visiting...the out-pouring of cards, phone calls and gifts...As I worked on the house, I re-lived it all in my mind. And the other big emotion I felt was gratitude - to all my family and friends who supported me throughout this ordeal. I was totally shocked on what everyone did for me. I could never Thank everyone enough for their kindness. I then felt the urge to go to Bay View and walk along the dike to "get my mind straight", but other duties pulled us away - I'll have to wait on that.

The most interesting thing about today is that before I left work, I ate a piece of Dove chocolate - the one with the messages inside...I looked at my message: "Life is precious and an opportunity for you to make every moment count" ???? So I opened another one: "Make the most of everyday" Was someone telling me something?

So, that's my message to all of you..."Life is precious and an opportunity for you to make every moment count" And I'll work on doing the same.

Thank you again for your support and love throughout the year...

Deb

1 comment:

Always a Clevelander said...

Hugs & Kisses to you! We love you so very much.